[openbox] Announcing bgmenu for openbox

Tim Riley tr at slackzone.org
Sun Sep 7 00:31:37 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 15:27, Michael Rasile wrote:
> Tim,
> You've been a big help today and I do appreciate. Why is it when I set the
> background from the menu it has a white background. I have edited .bsetbgrc
> to use Esetroot -s. When I use Esetroot from the command line, it works
> fine.

This would not be a fault of bgmenu, but instead it seems to be a
problem with your bsetbg configuration.  Try running bsetbg to manually
set the background from the command line.  Also, try doing it with
`bsetbg -debug` and then using the command that it prints to then set
the bg.  As I said, your bsetbg configuration may be a little askew.

> Just wondering what the problem might be. And, finally (his last
> question for a while) is there a way to start with the same background that
> has been set from the menu? Well, that's it for a while. Again, thanks for
> all your help.

To set a background when you start up openbox, there are many ways, but
one of these is just to put the command to set the background in your
.xinitrc or .xsession, whichever of these files you use.  At the moment
the bgmenu does not modify these files, so it can't, in this manner,
make the background persistent across settings.

However, I have a suggestion that you might like to try.  You could
modify the bsetbg source for it to print the command that it uses to set
the background into a file (eg. ~/.bsetbg-last-background or something
like that).  This way, whenever the bsetbg command is run, it updates
this file.  Then, you could `source ~/.bsetbg-last-background` in your
.xinitrc so that it will automatically display the most recently used
background on startup.

bsetbg is written in Bash, so writing this modification would not be
difficult.  If you succeed, I'm sure many people would be interested in
using it too!

It's been my pleasure to be of assistance, and I hope that message
helps,

Tim