[openbox] Announcing bgmenu for openbox

Michael Rasile keeper at neo.rr.com
Sun Sep 7 12:19:10 EDT 2003

On Sun Sep 07, 2003 at 02:01:37PM +0930 or thereabouts, Tim Riley wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 15:27, Michael Rasile wrote:
> > Tim,
> > You've been a big help today and I do appreciate. Why is it when I set the
> > background from the menu it has a white background. I have edited .bsetbgrc
> > to use Esetroot -s. When I use Esetroot from the command line, it works
> > fine.
>
> This would not be a fault of bgmenu, but instead it seems to be a
> problem with your bsetbg configuration.  Try running bsetbg to manually
> set the background from the command line.  Also, try doing it with
> `bsetbg -debug` and then using the command that it prints to then set
> the bg.  As I said, your bsetbg configuration may be a little askew.
>
> > Just wondering what the problem might be. And, finally (his last
> > question for a while) is there a way to start with the same background that
> > has been set from the menu? Well, that's it for a while. Again, thanks for
> > all your help.
>
> To set a background when you start up openbox, there are many ways, but
> one of these is just to put the command to set the background in your
> .xinitrc or .xsession, whichever of these files you use.  At the moment
> the bgmenu does not modify these files, so it can't, in this manner,
> make the background persistent across settings.
>
> However, I have a suggestion that you might like to try.  You could
> modify the bsetbg source for it to print the command that it uses to set
> the background into a file (eg. ~/.bsetbg-last-background or something
> like that).  This way, whenever the bsetbg command is run, it updates
> this file.  Then, you could `source ~/.bsetbg-last-background` in your
> .xinitrc so that it will automatically display the most recently used
> background on startup.
>
> bsetbg is written in Bash, so writing this modification would not be
> difficult.  If you succeed, I'm sure many people would be interested in
> using it too!
>
> It's been my pleasure to be of assistance, and I hope that message
> helps,
>
> Tim

Tim,
The strange thing here, and this is not unique to openbox, is that I have never
had luck with bsetbg. Now, if I edit the .bsetbgrc and tell it to use
Esetroot and try to change backgrounds, no full screeen. If I issue the
command Esetroot -s from the commandline, the image is set correctly. Why
doesn't bsetbg do that, even if I have told it to do so in .bsetbgrc? This
is not a serious problem, just annoying that I can't get it to work from the
ob menu. This is not meant as a criticism toward bgmenu.rb. I think it's a
great script and an excellent enhancement to make ob3 easier to use. I'll
keep trying to figure out why bsetbg isn't working here. I know that a lot
of the themes I used in ob2 and fluxbox used bsetbg as the rootCommand: I
always had to change those to use Esetroot. Go figure! :-)) Thanks again.

The pest,
Mike

--
Regards,