[quake3] Greetings

Christopher Bunting cbunting99 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 20:07:16 EDT 2008

Mods developed for the Q3 engine used to be one thing. No engine licensing
applied for anyone creating even a total conversion mod.

But I was told years ago when I was interested in licensing the Q3 engine
for a project a few friends and I were doing, we asked a bunch of questions
about what actually fell under the "Need a license terms" and I
was originally told that any game being offered as a whole built on top of
the q3 engine or any deriv still required a license. It's also stated here,
http://www.idsoftware.com/business/technology/techlicense.php

But what I was told would mean that Tremulous, World of Padman, Urban
Terror and so on would still need a valid Q3 Engine License. When you think
about it, those are all games built on top of the Quake 3 engine or ioQuake3
but it is still the Q3 engine. I'm guessing ID doesn't much care because
they don't outright make money off of them. But still, years ago, any game
being released whether free or not still required a license.

But as I mentioned, I guess ID has a different take now of free games
as opposed to what their Q3 Engine Licensing states.

Just my thoughts on this,
Chris