[quake3] Greetings

monk at rq3.com monk at rq3.com
Tue Apr 15 20:35:46 EDT 2008

> told that any game being offered as a whole built on top of
> the q3 engine or any deriv still required a license. It's also stated
> here,
> http://www.idsoftware.com/business/technology/techlicense.php

Actually, read the page a bit more closely.  It's under the QUAKE section
that id explains how you can use the GPL'ed engines they release.  The Q3
section (and Q2) doesn't really cover it so I can see how you'd get the
wrong impression by only looking at the Q3 section(s).  Some relevent
quotes so you don't have to hunt too much:

"If, for example, you have an amateur team that is long on talent but
short on cash and needs a proven engine to develop a game that can be
distributed commercially, it doesn’t get much better than 'Free.' If you
abide by the GPL terms, then the QUAKE technology is truly just a gift
from id. And, unlike some 'bargain' licensors, we don’t impose ANY
restrictions on your distribution channel: retail, Internet, shareware,
magazine coverdisk – whatever YOU choose."

"For teams that don’t want to operate under the GPL, we’re now offering a
"non-GPL" QUAKE engine license for a flat fee of $10,000 per title [3]
with no backend royalty whatsoever. This means that you can grab the
source and tools from our FTP site and sign a separate agreement with us,
allowing you to keep your source modifications confidential (if you
like)."

Replace "QUAKE" with "QUAKE 3 ARENA" and it's the same deal.

Monk.