[cod] monitoring script

Ian mu mu.llamas at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 14:28:28 EDT 2005

S'ok, I just find the whole thread a little odd, but its always the way when
criticical posts take threads offtopic and for me do more harm than good and
detract from people posting more to get to a decent solution.
 Going to try and explain a situation though that maybe some will
understand, some won't but it may give some ideas why people sometimes
aren't all that forthcoming as much as we'd like sometimes including myself.
 Personally I have been given specific instructions not to help other people
with code I've written for other companies, I have no choice in the matter,
simple as that. Same goes pretty much with other support I do. Yet I want to
help people, I enjoy gaming, I enjoy coding (no not even that good, far from
it), I'm not on these lists just to annoy people or to suck up information
and give nothing in return as most aren't. How do I get around it? By pretty
much being anonymous and trying to help people as much as I can without
releasing any code written for someone else certainly.
 Now you typically won't get much/any released code from any main hoster
(can't think of any off the top of my head), etc with very few exceptions.
You will get a lot of people trying to help with a hand tied behind their
back however, knowing on the one hand they'd like to release every bit of
code (no matter how crummy, it will help someone) yet knowing they can't,
but they will spend lots of time helping others get to that same point of
having at least similar code or achieving what they want, or helping them
learn.
 If they have the will, others will help them get there. If anyone wanted to
do a public collaboration for example on this emailing list and everyone
contribute as an ongoing project I'd personally be willing to help and
chances are it "could" end up better than any single solution bar the odd
very larger project out there. I doubt it would happen, but would be very
interesting if it did.
 It also does come down to a little the way I see irc though, I spend lots
of time in the main channels helping people. Typically I won't give a full
script or config, I will "always" try and help people to understand so they
can for themselves though create whatever they want and give ideas that
maybe they hadn't thought of (and I receive the same in return gaining ideas
I hadn't thought of). It's a win/win situation, criticism does only one
thing, it stops anything productive from being forthcoming, I've seen it
time and time again (and no not having a go). There's criticism and there's
constructive criticism, and most genuine people will always take the latter.
 Anyway, just wanted to get away from the criticisms and try and explain a
little why everything isn't so obvious when lots of people are probably
using scripts already and everyone isn't suddenly posting them. The help is
here, and I'm sure most just want the threads to keep on a constructive mode
and even if it takes 20 posts to get there end up with a decent solution.