[cod] Laggy CoD:UO Server any updates???

Mark J. DeFilippis defilm at acm.org
Mon Jul 11 23:16:35 EDT 2005

Reality is, EA will get it right. As Jay pointed out, the history
of their Linux servers is good, but they all start out bumpy.

I just wish they would hold it an extra 2 weeks, and use the
resources at their disposal. Lots of smaller server vendors...
Note that excludes me, but I have every confidence in the folks
on these lists.  I know they will do a great job with COD2 as
well.

The only real diff that bothers me is when Ryan released code
he did the best he could and he was very open.  Even the PM
was up to 2am.

I recall Jay, myself, and a bunch of us sitting on this list, using it
like a darn chat system, and they couldn't get the patch out fast
enough, so the PM offered to email it to anyone that sent him an
email.  We were like a bunch of hungry chicks waiting for mommy
to give us the worm. (ROFLAMAO!).  Geez, were we pathetic.
Of course I emailed him! ;-)

But in reality, that is going above and beyond.  I just wish EA would
"Go...??".  Remember when DICE was the same way.
Humm.... Makes you wonder what Valve really has in store for
us with DOD:Source.  They are kind of worse than EA!

About COD2... It has been very very quiet. I sure hope Ryan will
get the ability to pass us the first servers before they distribute.
I estimate we could get a good sense in less than 24 hours,
they would have the critical feedback, and could go back
for however long they need to resolve the "bad bad" ones.

I would certainly be willing to sign a non-disclosure to only
submit to a particular private list or something of that nature.
I bet most on this list would.

Just with the "Way EA has worked this thing w/ BF2", It makes me
look forward even more to COD2.

One last note... I have a game here, played once, "Brothers in
Arms".  I remember seeing the impressive walk through the
developers did.  I wonder why that never took off?  Seems
there is a sequel coming out as well...

What made COD, like a movie you see 30 times and when
you flip the channel and it is on, you still will watch it again
from any point.  Yet Brothers in Arms fell flat on it's face??
I have not quite figured that out yet...

BTW.. Has there been any word from Ryan on scheduling?
I mean, all software runs behind.... just wondering by how much?

Regards

Mark

Mark J. DeFilippis, Ph. D EE          defilm at acm.org
                                       defilm at ieee.org