[quake2] Original quake2 game bug

Karen Pouelle hockeyvixen at yahoo.ca
Fri Jan 13 20:25:28 EST 2006

--- Nick Warne <nick at linicks.net> wrote:

> Quake - the original (can't call it quake1 as quake2 wasn't
> yet born). What  weapons did that have (I have never played it),
> and did they swap out on no ammo as quake2 does now
> (or did then)?

I just tried them all, Quake, Quake II, Quake 3A, and Quake4.

Quake had the lightning gun, valued above the rocket launcher.
But running out of ammo with that (or any weapon) doesn't
cause a change to the rocket launcher; instead, it changes
to just the double barrel shotgun.

So the behaviours are the same with regard to running out of
ammo and weapons switching from Quake to Quake 2. But Quake 3 and 4 do switch
to rocket launcher when running out of ammo.

> Could it be remnants of old code from quake that was never updated??

It is possible, but it could just be more of a game style change.

> > Or maybe someone at Id knows.

> Yes, only ID coders would know.  Xatrix team knew though, even
> though they totally screwed up the code so it didn't work for
> the ionripper and phalanx.

> The best way here, I think, is a define in Makefile, on by default:

> #ifndef ORIGINAL

Would that only affect servers you were running or would you
have the mod function when you connected to an original server?

I suppose that might depend on where you make the change - the
server side game code change would change the behaviour for
connecting clients, but clients who've made the mod on their
server side game wouldn't see the change when connecting to an
original Quake 2 server. It would have to be a compile-time
option in the client code for those who want the change to
have it in all cases.

Even though I think the weapon change/damage avoidance for no
ammo is deliberate, there's no dispute - there are lots of bugs, and more in
the mission packs.

Karen