[quake2] Original quake2 game bug

Nick Warne nick at linicks.net
Fri Jan 13 19:12:47 EST 2006

On Saturday 14 January 2006 00:03, Karen Pouelle wrote:
> Does that prove that thinking is dangerous? ;)

Since I sent the earlier mail, I been thinking :-)

> Seriously, that's an interesting theory I might accept had I not
> read somewhere in the last 10+ years in some of Id's literature.
> Ask others who have been playing Id's games for awhile,
> http://www.quakesrc.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6025
> documents others who seem to recall the same thing I have.

Quake - the original (can't call it quake1 as quake2 wasn't yet born).  What
weapons did that have (I have never played it), and did they swap out on no
ammo as quake2 does now (or did then)?

Could it be remnants of old code from quake that was never updated??

> Or maybe someone at Id knows. It's certainly different from
> how Quake4 behaves in this regard. I'd love to see documentation
> that proves I'm wrong, also.

Yes, only ID coders would know.  Xatrix team knew though, even though they
totally screwed up the code so it didn't work for the ionripper and phalanx.
(no 'return' in the functions, let alone the ionrippergun typo).

> Perhaps you can code a patch where normally the
> original behaviour is preserved, unless a specific
> newly-documented cvar is set.

The best way here, I think, is a define in Makefile, on by default:

#ifndef ORIGINAL

type stuff.

Nick
--
"Person who say it cannot be done should not interrupt person doing it."
-Chinese Proverb