[quake2] Original quake2 game bug

Karen Pouelle hockeyvixen at yahoo.ca
Fri Jan 13 19:03:14 EST 2006

--- Nick Warne <nick at linicks.net> wrote:

> On Friday 13 January 2006 22:03, Jay Dolan wrote:
> I still think this part of the code was done as the weapons got
> developed with 'dumb' ammo, and at the later stages the when the
> 'thinking' weapon ammo got developed they overlooked this in
> that function.  It is only the 'thinking ammo' left out.

Does that prove that thinking is dangerous? ;)

Seriously, that's an interesting theory I might accept had I not
read somewhere in the last 10+ years in some of Id's literature.
Ask others who have been playing Id's games for awhile,
http://www.quakesrc.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6025
documents others who seem to recall the same thing I have.

Or maybe someone at Id knows. It's certainly different from
how Quake4 behaves in this regard. I'd love to see documentation
that proves I'm wrong, also.

Perhaps you can code a patch where normally the
original behaviour is preserved, unless a specific
newly-documented cvar is set.

Karen