[quake2] console font size - anybody?

Thomas J Fogal tfogal at pascal.unh.edu
Wed Jan 12 11:57:14 EST 2005

 <200501121621.32294.prefect_ at gmx.net>Nicolai Haehnle writes:

> On Wednesday 12 January 2005 14:24, Brendan Burns wrote:
> > Manfred,
> > (just so you don't get no responses again...)  I don't actually know=20
> > the answer to
> > this question, but I can look into it when I get a chance.  (or you=20
> > could look
> > into it if you wanted to...)  My suspicion is that they are using a=20
> > bitmapped
> > font which means that changing the scale will be somewhat challenging
> > (you'll need to scale all of the images...) but I'm not sure.
>
> With OpenGL, scaling the bitmaps should be trivial. It'll look ugly for odd
> scale factors, but the console font isn't exactly beautiful anyway.

nod, keep in mind that scaling is slow though.

I took a quick look but did not try hacking any code. This might be
doable by wrapping all 'DrawChar' and/or 're.DrawChar' calls in:

glPushMatrix();
	glScalef(1.0,1.0,-x);
	re.DrawChar(...);
glPopMatrix();

in client/console.c. Or perhaps the mod might be appropriate in
M_DrawCharacter from client/menu.c.

Lighting in particular is one thing that causes a major slowdown with
scaling. It would probably be a good idea to disable and reenable
lighting within that push/pop, above.

Hope someone else has more time for this than me.

-tom