[quake2] console font size - anybody?

Manfred Vogelgesang mv007 at gmx.net
Wed Jan 12 12:32:01 EST 2005

>  <200501121621.32294.prefect_ at gmx.net>Nicolai Haehnle writes:
>
> > On Wednesday 12 January 2005 14:24, Brendan Burns wrote:
> > > Manfred,
> > > (just so you don't get no responses again...)  I don't actually
> know=20
> > > the answer to
> > > this question, but I can look into it when I get a chance.  (or you=20
> > > could look
> > > into it if you wanted to...)  My suspicion is that they are using a=20
> > > bitmapped
> > > font which means that changing the scale will be somewhat challenging
> > > (you'll need to scale all of the images...) but I'm not sure.
> >
> > With OpenGL, scaling the bitmaps should be trivial. It'll look ugly for
> odd
> > scale factors, but the console font isn't exactly beautiful anyway.
>
> nod, keep in mind that scaling is slow though.
>
> I took a quick look but did not try hacking any code. This might be
> doable by wrapping all 'DrawChar' and/or 're.DrawChar' calls in:
>
> glPushMatrix();
> 	glScalef(1.0,1.0,-x);
> 	re.DrawChar(...);
> glPopMatrix();
>
> in client/console.c. Or perhaps the mod might be appropriate in
> M_DrawCharacter from client/menu.c.
>
> Lighting in particular is one thing that causes a major slowdown with
> scaling. It would probably be a good idea to disable and reenable
> lighting within that push/pop, above.
>
> Hope someone else has more time for this than me.
>
> -tom

Thanks to you and all that replied or are going to answer. :)

I hope, nobody misunderstood my question:
I just mean scaling the text of the console messages, not necessarily the
hud, like the weapons, ammo display etc.

You think, this slows things down?

Well, with gl_scale set from 1 (default) to 2 in "nocheat" I don't notice
ANY such slowdown. Actually, I can use very high resolutions and still have
an easily readable console (all those messages by other players); of course,
there should be no scaling whatsoever of the game itself!

You are right in so far as some scaling factors cause ugly fonts:
factors like 1.5 or 1.7 or 1.92 etc.

But the integers 1, 2, 3... work fine - and again, no (noticeable) slowdown
at all.

Perhaps someone still has an idea or (god forbid, haha) even writes a quick
patch - if he has time and interest and IF there is really nothing in the
current code to resize the console/players text messages.

Thanks for your help
Manfred

--
+++ Sparen Sie mit GMX DSL +++ http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl
AKTION für Wechsler: DSL-Tarife ab 3,99 EUR/Monat + Startguthaben