More update

Brian Hook hook_l at pyrogon.com
Mon Mar 3 01:29:49 EST 2003

Okay, I've decided that I'm just making the changes I want to make
wholesale, I'm impatient =)

When the changes are done, I'll offer them up for integration, but
failing that I'll have Ryan fork a new version for me that we can
call Quake2X or something.

Portability is important to me, and I'm doing this for fun, which is
why I'm not just forking it and dorking with it alone, but I also
realize that the stuff I want to do is possibly out of the purview of
what everyone else wants for Quake2 i.o.

So far:

- added const correctness as much as possible
- made things buffer that weren't before
- removed REF_VERITE, REF_POWERVR and REF_3DFX stuff
- removed SST_GAMMA and Glide support
- removed minidriver support
- made md4.c compile correctly on MSVC
- I've removed all IPX code from the Win32 codebase.
- removed unused #include <assert.h> statements
- added gamma support for Windows

To Do:

- integrate Lua (somehow) as a scripting language.  Some thought has
to be put into this, including whether to use Lua 5 or Lua 4.  The
cvar system could be moved into Lua, but that would break existing
autoexec.cfgs, so maybe not such a good idea

The goal is to retain 100% backwards compatibility with existing Q2
data and mods.  This means nothing is broken going forward.  But at
the same time, allow for new mods to be written in a scripting
language and possibly encourage external development for Q2X.

Brian