[quake2] quake2 eye candy question

Victor Shkamerda vvs at auto.bnm.org
Fri Jun 14 02:08:49 EDT 2002

>>> icculus at clutteredmind.org 06/13/02 11:00PM >>>
>(Also, is there really a good reason to keep GLX around if we've got an
>SDL target that does OpenGL?)

The OpenGL part is pretty much the same, but other hardware related stuff is not. I mean sound, joystick, interfacing with X etc. There is some difference between which functions are implemented in GLX and which are in SDL, also I always get better sound quality with GLX for some reason. OTOH GLX is the standard part of XFree86 now, while SDL is not and there are different incompatible versions of SDL floating around in several Linux distributions which make things even worse. And what about porting to different OS where XFree86 is already available and SDL is not? Of course in theory SDL should be available everywhere and make it easier, but in practice it's not always the case.

I think it is better to have more choices, unless it will become really difficult to maintain. Is it the case here?

With best regards,
Victor Shkamerda

--
DISCLAIMER:
Any e-mail messages from the National Bank of Moldova are sent in good faith, but shall not be binding nor construed as constituting any obligation on the part of the Bank.