[openbox] _NET_WM_STATE_BELOW doesn't work when set by an application

R. Mattes rm at mh-freiburg.de
Wed Feb 5 19:51:09 EST 2014

On Wed, 5 Feb 2014 17:14:19 -0500, Dana Jansens wrote

> wmctrl can be used to set the below state on windows. Using a command such as:
>
> $ wmctrl -ir 0x2600004 -b add,below
> or
>
> $ wmctrl -ir 0x2600004 -b toggle,below
>
> I am able to put a window in always-below mode and it has
_NET_WM_STATE_BELOW added to its _NET_WM_STATE.

> So it is either a bug in Qt, or the application is using the wrong Qt
method. I would expect the latter.

Hmm - I just "played" a bit with the Qt example app "windowflags" (this is
with Qt5.0.1), and
observed the following:

 I can change the "Window stays on bottom" flag and the window moves down the
z-axis. Swiching of
 the flag the window moves up again. This works repeatedly. But as soon as I
change the window type
 to something other than "Window" ('dialog' for example) the window gets stuck
on the top level.
 Changing back to type 'windows' does _not_ solve the problem. Once the window
has been a 'dialog'
 or similar, any changes to the NetWMState seem to be ignored.

 BTW, everytime a property gets changed, the windows moves down the screen ....

  Cheers, RalfD