[openbox] _NET_WM_STATE_BELOW doesn't work when set by an application

Andrew Gallant jamslam at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 19:56:43 EST 2014

> But as soon as I
> change the window type
>  to something other than "Window" ('dialog' for example) the window gets stuck
> on the top level.
>  Changing back to type 'windows' does _not_ solve the problem. Once the window
> has been a 'dialog'
>  or similar, any changes to the NetWMState seem to be ignored.

According to the EWMH spec, the window type must only be set before
mapping. So changing the window type while the window is mapped
actually shouldn't have an effect.

The proper way to change a window's type is to unmap it (which should
cause the WM to stop managing it), then change the window type
property to what you want, and then map the window again.

Also, when I say "unmap" I *don't* mean minimize or some such. You
need to issue an unmap request. I don't know what the Qt translation
of this is, but I'm certain it isn't some variation of "minimize" or "iconify."