[openbox] _NET_WM_STATE_BELOW doesn't work when set by an application

Dana Jansens danakj at orodu.net
Wed Feb 5 17:14:19 EST 2014

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 5:01 PM, R. Mattes <rm at mh-freiburg.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Feb 2014 16:31:25 -0500, Andrew Gallant wrote
> > [ ... nice explanation snipped ... ]
> > This advice should translate to, "OK, I need to find a Qt function
> > that sends a client message to _NET_WM_STATE and NOT a function that
> > just changes the property."
>
> But that missses the point: the OP uses Qt, and that is a multi-platform
> toolkit. A Qt programmer is not supposed to call xcb functions (or their
> wrappers) directly. That's the job of the framework (setNetWmStates as
> mentioned by the OP is a _private_ method).
>
> So the question remains: is this a bug in Qt or in OpenBox? Why does
> the same code work in Gnome2?

wmctrl can be used to set the below state on windows. Using a command such
as:

$ wmctrl -ir 0x2600004 -b add,below
or
$ wmctrl -ir 0x2600004 -b toggle,below

I am able to put a window in always-below mode and it has
_NET_WM_STATE_BELOW added to its _NET_WM_STATE.

So it is either a bug in Qt, or the application is using the wrong Qt
method. I would expect the latter.