[openbox] Fighting Gnome

Johan Vromans jvromans at squirrel.nl
Mon Jul 8 02:45:46 EDT 2013

Frank <beacon at videotron.ca> writes:

>    Fluxbox...IceWm......Unless you want a DE rather than just a window
> manager.

Besides OpenBox, my desktop needs are a top panel (menus, applets) that
hides itself and session management. The latter I found necessary since
without Gnome session management, many things went wrong (such as access
to sound and cd). This may have changed in modern Gnome-based systems.

So it's WM + panel.

Currently, with Fedora 17, I use the gnome-panel but this seems to have
disappeared in Fedora 19. Also, it took a lot of effort to fit OpenBox
into Gnome session, something I'd rather not do again.

-- Johan