[openbox] Having transparency "issues"

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Mon Jun 30 11:56:17 EDT 2008

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008, Bartosz Oudekerk wrote:

> Doug Barton wrote:
>>>
>>> To see if it's application/type specific I also tried roxterm and that
>>> did not work, but aterm transparency does work. Weird.
>
> IIRC, aterms transparency isn't real transparency. Can you actually see
> other windows behind it, or just the background?

Just the background of course.

> If the latter, than you have, contrary to your conclusion, *not*
> established if transparency works or not.

Dude, no reason for the hostility. I didn't say that I had established
whether transparency was working or not. I probably should have said
"aterm 'transparency'" above, but my point is that REAL transparency
doesn't work at all.

While I'm at it, I have now tried several other NETWM-compliant panels,
(like lxpanel and fbpanel) and transparency does not work for them either.

It would be nice to get some sort of useful response on this. Is there
something I can try, like a snapshot release? Something from git?

Thanks,

Doug

--

 	If you're never wrong, you're not trying hard enough