[openbox] Having transparency "issues"

Christophe Lincoln pankso at slitaz.org
Mon Jun 30 12:15:49 EDT 2008

Hi,

> While I'm at it, I have now tried several other NETWM-compliant
> panels, (like lxpanel and fbpanel) and transparency does not work for
> them either.
>
> It would be nice to get some sort of useful response on this. Is
> there something I can try, like a snapshot release? Something from
> git?

To have real transparency or shadows you first need to have Xorg
'Composite' enable, it can be enable with tiny Xvesa and the option
+extension or with Xorg:

Section "Extensions"
	Option      "Composite" "1"
EndSection

After this you must install/compile Xorg composite manager
'xcompmgr' (part of Xorg) and 'transset-df' to set transparency. Usage
example:

$ xcompmgr -c -r 10
$ transset-df --click --max 60

http://www.forchheimer.se/transset-df/

If you want to try Openbox/xcompmgr out-of-the-box, you can give a try
to SliTaz GNU/Linux LiveCD, it provide all this in a 25 Mb ISO and
Desktop effects can be enable throught Ob menu.

http://www.slitaz.org/en/

> Thanks,
>
> Doug

- Christophe