[openbox] Gucharmap or Openbox - one more time and a new problem

Dana Jansens danakj at orodu.net
Fri Jul 6 15:43:01 EDT 2007

On 7/6/07, Rafał Mużyło <galtgendo at o2.pl> wrote:
> The problem I've described back in May is still there - popup of
> gucharmap still disappears just a moment after it appeared.
> Is there some info I could provide for you to find out the problem ?

Ah this used to work then broke again I guess. What happens is
gucharmap opens the little window and says it can be focused.  But it
just so happens that Metacity chooses not to focus said little window.
 Openbox 3.4.2 actually does give focus to the little window, which
then gucharmap responds to by closing the window.  This is the result
of "leaving policy up to the window manager instead of specifying
anything in the specification" and then making apps to work with
specific policy of a single window manager. I should write a book
about how stupid it all is.

Anyhow. I guess Openbox 3.4.3 will not focus utility windows in this
particular case, and gucharmap will work.  I have it working in svn
now.