[openbox] OB very slow to open over GNOME

Benedict Brown bjbrown+openbox at cs.princeton.edu
Wed Jun 15 14:56:25 EDT 2005

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, LostSon wrote:
> I too have messed with gnome 2.10 using openbox as the wm and switching
> between having nautilus draw
> the desktop and not drawing the desktop. Loading times are pathetically
> slow and for some off reason the panel
> loads even slower and there is always an initial delay in the panel
> actually working. For instance if i click on
> the applications or locations menu in the panel it takes 5-10 seconds
> before it actually comes up.
> As far as the splash screen i just turn it off no reason to have it on.
> After messing with for a week or two i
> jsut went back to using openbox only, by far IMO the best way for me.
> Gnome is just too picky and i really
> dont need all the goofy stuff it comes with. Sorry i couldnt be of more
> help, just wanted to weigh in with
> my expereince with this.

My turn.  I've been using openbox with gnome for quite a long time, and I
upgraded one of my systems to 2.10 a few days ago.  I have indeed had lots
of problems with gnome's splash screen, but that's turned off.  And I
don't use nautilus (use gconf-editor to get it not to draw the desktop).
Without nautilus, gnome loads quite quickly.

Benedict