[openbox] [ANNOUNCE] Openbox-3.0-beta6 released

Mike logan at dct.com
Fri Sep 26 15:57:35 EDT 2003

On Friday, September 26, 2003 at 03:40PM, Ben Jansens wrote:
>On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 02:15:12PM -0500, Mike wrote:
>>
>> Whoops, I meant to say for window placement types, not focus.
>>
>> ob2 had quite a bit more, I just meant to say IF there were a bunch
>> (cascade, smart, under, click, etc.), calling a place->type(client, y, x)
>> might look than having a massive if().
>
>Yeah, it did, and it was really a sore point if you ask me :)
>
>I just had a great idea (I hope).
>
>A) Place-under-mouse, as far as I can tell, is a sloppy-focus paradigm only.
>   So it only needs to be available when using sloppy focus.
>
>B) With place-under-mouse and sloppy focus, the new window will always be
>   focused.
>
>I have taken these observations and made the following: UnderMouse will be
>used *in place of* Smart placement (as the primary placement) when using
>sloppy-focus with focusNew enabled. When focusNew is not enabled, you don't
>want the windows under the mouse, as that would just cause them to be
>focused, so it will use Smart placement in this case.
>
>Hope that made sense. :) We'll see if this will "just work" with how people
>use their window manager.

Hm, I dunno. :S

I like followMouse and under mouse placement, but I don't use focusNew because if I launch a few things at once (say two terms), I don't want them taking away the focus from the current window (which now could be the first of the two terms).

I understand your wanting to keep things simple, but changing mouse placement type based on focusNew and followMouse could be confusing. It would confuse the heck outta me anyway. :) I'd want to be able to choose the placement type, regardless of focus options.

If everyone else agrees with your idea, I wouldn't want to hold you back. I can just keep patching. :) :/

Mike