[openbox] Openbox 3 beta3 and GNOME 2.4.0

Robert Upshall rupshall at psasoft.com
Wed Sep 17 10:32:18 EDT 2003

Ben Jansens wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 05:45:19PM -0500, Robert Upshall wrote:
>
>>Hmm, this was working fine before I upgraded to 2.4.  I don't want to
>>have the bloat of a complete GNOME session running, all want from gnome
>>is the panel.  :(
>

> As David already stated, running a session manager is generally a good idea.
> And since you can control what exactly is in the session there is no need to
> worry about "a complete GNOME session" if you dont want it. You can simply
> remove the stuff you don't want. For a while i was usnig gnome-session and
> running nothing but openbox with it.
>
> Ben

I tried running a the session manager last night with only openbox
running, it seemed to work ok but being new to a session manager in this
context I have a couple questions for you and David. (and anybody else
who might have an oppion I guess)

1. What are the advantages of using a session manager?

2. Is there a way to make the gnome-session session exit with the
<action name="exit" />, last night for me it was just killing the window
manager and leaving the session running

Robert