[openbox] openbox 3 comments/questions

Ava Arachne Jarvis ajar at katanalynx.dyndns.org
Fri Oct 17 02:15:42 EDT 2003

[Mikael Magnusson - Fri, 17 Oct 2003 12:15:19 AM CDT]
> On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, poing wrote:
> > The question was whether Modifier keys can be triggers on their own
> > without a function or other key. The rc.xml does state that the Windows
> > Key has a W alias, and e.g. W-1 defines a working Windows Key + 1
> > combination. I want to have the Windows key on its own with no other keys
> > being pressed do something, I guess this isn't currently possible.
>
> run xev and press the windows key and look what the keysym name is in your
> config, most normal would be Super_L

Install xkeycaps.  Choose a 104-key board, or whatever board suits your
own.  Edit keysyms of your windows key and turn off any modifiers on it
(mod4 is usually what indicates the windows key as a modifier) as well.
You can also change the keysym to something else.

You can save the xmodmap file and follow the instructions for restoring
it on next login.

The windows key is pretty useful, though, as an extra modifier that
won't conflict with most applications that want to use Alt-whatever.
Using it as just another key is rather limited.