[openbox] building & restarting

Brett Campbell brett at custom-tech.net
Thu Oct 9 18:49:56 EDT 2003

> Brett, all I do is do "make uninstall" for the old version, configure
> and make install the new version, and use the "restart" switch in the
> menu as long as the build goes OK.
>
> Hope this helps.

Matt,

This works fantastically. In the meanwhile, i had been looking at the
symlinks in /proc. Because Linux r0xors so much (as some would say),
I could `make uninstall` in the old source tree, with the old window-
manager still running (as a reference to it and its inode still
existed on disk), and then `make install` in the new source tree and
then restart. Voila!!  Cat'ing the /proc/pid/exe symlink shows the
new executable running.  How sweet is that!!

Thanks for the help.
--
[ Brett R. Campbell ]
 -> Configuration Management / Systems Administration