[openbox] openbox focus wish list

John Russell drjimmy42 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 7 11:02:01 EDT 2003

> If you'd like the window-cycling popup dialog to be more helpful in
> the meanwhile, you can change the titlebar/icon text to something
> more useful (like the CWD or application name: mutt, ettercap, etc).
>
> This is accomplished several ways:
>
> $ xterm -n "Icon Title String" -title "Titlebar String"
> $ Eterm --icon-name "Icon Title String" -T "Titlebar String"
>
> You can also change these attributes from within the shell by using
> ascii escape sequences similar to:
>
> $ print -Pn "\033]n;foobar\007"    # or something

I like this way best as it can be used with whatever terminal I'm using
if its in my .bashrc, however, with bash the command is

echo -ne ...

> where 'n' is 0, 1, or 2 and 'foobar' is some useful string.
> '0' sets both icon name and titlebar text. '1' and '2' do just the
> titlebar text or icon text, respectively (i believe).

> You probably already know this,

Actually, I didn't, thanks for the tip.

> but this has saved me all the headache
> of seeing 'aterm[1], aterm[2]... etc' when looking at window lists.

While this is good, is there a way to make the terminal title dynamic?
Because if I set them all to the same thing when the terminal opens,
then I still have the same problem of not being able to distinguish one
terminal from another.  Thanks again.

John