[openbox] Re: Openbox-3.0-rc2 released

Arwed von Merkatz v.merkatz at gmx.net
Fri Oct 3 11:40:34 EDT 2003

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 03:43:35PM +0100, David Philip Barr wrote:
> well a bug that can only be reproduced by you on your machine, under
> non-disclosed circumstances isn't going to effect anyone other than you,
> but when you harp on about it it's going to irritate a lot of people. i
> think this has been established. If you are just going to repeat yourself
> over and over rather than shed light on the situation that is not good bug
> reporting IMHO.

I wouldn't have brought up the rox problem anymore if you hadn't
mentioned it. I realize no one is able to reproduce it, but i just don't
see anything special here that would help reproduce it, so i'm happy
just fixing it locally.

> i know the type of focus you are talking about i think it is silly and
> unhelpful, i think it was requested and xor gave a grown up reason for not
> wanting it, i may be be wrong? if you want to throw your dummy out the pram
> about it then fine.

The reason for seperating focus and raise delays has already been
described here
http://icculus.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm/ezmlm-cgi?24:mss:1365:200309:mhkmlelhcpodbafbmgno

Basically the raise delay makes it possible to move the mouse quickly
from one window to another without having all windows that may be in the
way pop up to the front. But it is not "the delay you are expecting
before using the window", it's just a way to make sloppy focus more
usable. The main reason to use sloppy focus is the speed with which you
can switch focus from one window to another, so having to wait for a
delay until the window gets the focus just to make sloppy focus usable
defeats the purpose of using sloppy focus at all.

--
Arwed v. Merkatz
Grimoire Guru for video