[openbox] PATCH - sloppy focus

corey at streamreel.net corey at streamreel.net
Sat Nov 15 20:11:39 EST 2003

On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 08:51:41PM +0100, Mikael Magnusson wrote:
<snippage>
> You can't go around changing the default behaviour after a stable release
> you know.

  Ok, very true... I can understand that.

> I realize my choice of configuration name is not very good, but
> it had to have some name. Introducing one more timeout in the code is not
> entirely painfree, I did a patch for this a while back but we concluded
> that nobody would want it.

  I also agree that separate raise and focus delay options would be a
  strangely granular option to introduce, and wouldn't get used by many.
  ( I wouldn't go so far as to say _nobody_ however ).

> Do you have a problem with the default not being what you want?

  Not too much - I'm not so worried about the default ( other than I feel
  that ob3's default is unfortunately non-standard; and I believe I have
  plenty of "prior art" examples to back this up, not to mention practical
  usage concerns ).

  When it gets down to it, I'll just be happy if I can get my focus follows
  mouse to behave in a fashion that works well for myself, but also in a
  way that I honestly believe is truly a _useful_ behavior in general - for
  other people as well. If I just wanted some strange cryptic, highly subjective
  feature, then I certainly wouldn't suggest that it be incorporated into the
  mainline codebase.

> The way this patch works is this:
<snip>

  Yep - I see how it works; like I said, just a different approach to my
  own suggested patch; perhaps yours better fits into the existing codebase.

  I don't want to create any hassle for anyone, or the project - s'all good!

> >   Does anyone else here use focus follows mouse? Does anyone else here
> >   agree or disagree with me? I'm new here, and certainly don't want to
> >   come across as though I know best.
>
> I obviously disagree

  That's cool. I'm guessing that you use the feature differently -- do you
  enable a delay? If so, when you move your mouse into a new window, do you
  just wait for it to raise, or do you click into it in order to begin
  interacting with it?

Beers!

Corey