[openbox] proper way to implement KDE or WMaker-like multiple backgrounds

Chandler Carruth carrbc1 at wfu.edu
Wed Dec 24 00:18:49 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-23 at 23:50, Ben Jansens wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 07:14:45PM -0600, Eric Shattow wrote:
> > for efficiency and proper functionality, where should the implementation
> > of unique root wallpaper-per-workspace be?  the WM? the desktop
> > environment? external commands triggered by WM configuration? an
> > independent daemon that spies on X11 and waits for the workspace to change?
>
> It would be cleanest if whatever mechanism you use to normally set your
> background just supported this feature. For you this is probably the
> GNOME/Nautilus stuff. No such luck there.

not quite... read below

> > opinions to hear, patches to try, and all advice welcomed
>
> I don't personally know of any such software, but I would expect it to
> already exist. If not, however, it could be easily made (especially using
> existing tools like bgmenu (http://tr.openmonkey.com/openbox.php)). I'd
> recommend the python X bindings for the rest of the needed code, for
> simplicity and efficiency's sake.

well... there is one at least...

multi-backgrounds-daemon, @
http://jk24.free.fr/multi-backgrounds-daemon/

Its specifically for Gnome/Nautilus, so might work for you if you are a
gnome user.

However, I am not a gnome user, and still want this tidbit of
eyecandy... so I'm going to investigate writing such a util in python.
We'll see if I get anywhere. Please post if any other utils are already
out there, or anything that might be useful.

-cc