[openbox] proper way to implement KDE or WMaker-like multiple backgrounds

Ben Jansens ben at orodu.net
Tue Dec 23 23:50:12 EST 2003

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 07:14:45PM -0600, Eric Shattow wrote:
> for efficiency and proper functionality, where should the implementation
> of unique root wallpaper-per-workspace be?  the WM? the desktop
> environment? external commands triggered by WM configuration? an
> independent daemon that spies on X11 and waits for the workspace to change?

It would be cleanest if whatever mechanism you use to normally set your
background just supported this feature. For you this is probably the
GNOME/Nautilus stuff. No such luck there.

Openbox does absolutely nothing with background images. So, in my opinion,
the best option for you would be an application that watches for desktop
changes (possible with the freedesktop.org wm-spec), and changes the
background accordingly. In order to do this efficiently, you'll probly need
to store them all in the server at the same time (in Pixmaps) which will
suck for memory usage in the server, but such is life with eyecandy.

> i've heard all the arguments for "oh just use KDE" and "why do you run
> GNOME with all of the GNOME desktop flair turned off? you suck! use
> twm!"  i have RAM to burn, and i'm happy with how easily customizable
> the keybindings for OpenBox3 are.   i still miss the pretty backgrounds.

haha, open source users are often bigots about whatever they are currently
using :) use what works for you.

> opinions to hear, patches to try, and all advice welcomed

I don't personally know of any such software, but I would expect it to
already exist. If not, however, it could be easily made (especially using
existing tools like bgmenu (http://tr.openmonkey.com/openbox.php)). I'd
recommend the python X bindings for the rest of the needed code, for
simplicity and efficiency's sake.

ben