[openbox] Xinerama and centered windows

Kacper Wysocki kacperw at online.no
Sat Dec 20 10:54:59 EST 2003

On 12/18/03 23:18:01, Marc Wilson wrote:
>  That's easy... it doesn't.  DRI and Xinerama don't work together.

I know this..

>  Openbox is going to honor a window's request for position.  Are
> these  windows asking to be placed in a certain location on the
> screen?  I  use  emelfm extensively, and it deliberately places
> confirmation dialogs  in  the  exact center of the screen.

No matter whether the windows deliberately place themselves in the
exact center of the screen, this just doesn't work well for multiscreen
setups. But I'm guessing what you're saying is that the applications in
question are responsible.

> > Also, child windows should really open on the same screen as the
> > parent- opening emails in my mail app (balsa) there's no way of
> > predicting what screen the next window will open on. Tricky.
>
> I imagine this is an artifact of smart window placement, which tries
> to  maximize use of screen real-estate.  You might try under-mouse
> placement  instead.  You may also want to look at those windows... if
> they're  top-level windows, I'd think it's going to be rather
> difficult for  the  window manager to know they're children of the
> primary.

I have a strong dislike for under-mouse placement- I _like_ smart
window placement, as it does indeed put new windows rather
intelligently, but there are a coupe of cases when not being able to
predict where the next window will open is a disadvantage. I was under
the impression that there existed an X mechanism for determining
whether a window is a child of another. Sounds like you're saying there
isn't one.

Regards,
	Kacper
--
My GnuPG public key is available from pgp.mit.edu