[openbox] Xinerama and centered windows

Marc Wilson msw at cox.net
Thu Dec 18 23:18:01 EST 2003

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 12:18:16PM -0500, Kacper Wysocki wrote:
> Haven't gotten  xinerama to work with dri/gl yet, but that's still OT and
> not your  problem..

That's easy... it doesn't.  DRI and Xinerama don't work together.  You can
get acceleration on the primary head if you're using something like a pair
of nVidia cards that don't care about the DRI architecture.

> However, some windows still insist on opening in between the two
> screens; the ones I've observed doing this are the bittorrent download
> windows and pppoeconf, among others. Is this just a python tk
> retardedness, or is this fixable in openbox?

Openbox is going to honor a window's request for position.  Are these
windows asking to be placed in a certain location on the screen?  I use
emelfm extensively, and it deliberately places confirmation dialogs in the
exact center of the screen.

> Also, child windows should really open on the same screen as the
> parent- opening emails in my mail app (balsa) there's no way of
> predicting what screen the next window will open on. Tricky.

I imagine this is an artifact of smart window placement, which tries to
maximize use of screen real-estate.  You might try under-mouse placement
instead.  You may also want to look at those windows... if they're
top-level windows, I'd think it's going to be rather difficult for the
window manager to know they're children of the primary.

--
 Marc Wilson |     Yow!  Am I in Milwaukee?
 msw at cox.net |