[Gtkradiant] ATI FireGL 8800 issues

David Olofson gtkradiant@zerowing.idsoftware.com
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 13:45:14 +0200

On Tuesday 15 October 2002 12:07, Timothee Besset wrote:
> > =09* Xi Graphics have no driver for the FireGL 8800.
> > =09  (ATI doesn't seem to care to give them specs and
> > =09  permission... :-/ )
>
> Did you try DRI drivers? You might have better luck with them.

Well, AFAIK, they shouldn't work... At least, no other 8500 drivers will.=
=20
(Win98 drivers just crash, and XiG Summit won't start.)

> > I grabbed the CVS tree last friday, and got it working by always
> > setting both faces to the same mode. (Most importantly, GL_FILL for
> > brushes, as that's what caused brushes to vanish in the camera view
> > on the 8800.) I suspect that this "fix" also makes G400 cards run
> > with h/w acceleration again.
>
> Do you mean you have to render the brushes in a different way to deal
> with ATI driver bugs?

Well, just setting both faces to GL_FILL works. GL_FILL for one face and=20
GL_LINE for the other does not. (On the FireGL 8x00, nothing is visible -=
=20
it just eats fillrate. The G400 switches to dog slow s/w rendering.)

> Is it valid for both platforms (win32 and linux)?

Yes, AFAIK. (Same problem with Win2k, although I haven't verified that my=
=20
"fix" works on Win2k. I also haven't verified that it really fixes the=20
"G400 gets dog slow" issue, but I'm quite sure it does.)

BTW, when did GtkRadiant start using GL_LINE for backfaces? Must have=20
been some time after 1.1-TA, right? (That worked on G400/Win32, but no=20
1.2.x verson does.)

> A patch would be of interest.

Ok. I'll try to come up with something cleaner, though. Should be=20
possible to wrap qglPolygonMode() or something, I guess... (I've just=20
changed the camera code for now, which probably means that some other=20
stuff still fails to work on the 8800.)

> Also, does turning on/off the use of display lists change anything.

Nope, at least not before the "fix". (Not tried with/without after=20
that.)

> > BTW, I had to make a few minor changes to get GtkRadiant to build on
> > my system. It might have to do with that system (still...) running
> > Mandrake, but if you're interested, I'll post a patch.
>
> We are aware of some issues which we haven't fixed yet. ETG could give
> you some info. We need to do some config checks prior to build I think.
> Submit a patch anyway, it may be a good start point to settle this
> cleanly.

Ok. (I have the stuff at home, though, so I can't post it right away.)

=2E- Coming soon from VaporWare Inc...------------------------.
| The Return of Audiality! Real, working software. Really!  |
| Real time and off-line synthesis, scripting, MIDI, LGPL...|