[Gtkradiant] ATI FireGL 8800 issues

David Olofson gtkradiant@zerowing.idsoftware.com
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 11:58:45 +0200

Ok; back again, with a status report:

=09* Xi Graphics have no driver for the FireGL 8800.
=09  (ATI doesn't seem to care to give them specs and
=09  permission... :-/ )

=09* glPolygonMode() seems to be broken on both Win2k
=09  and Linux drivers. You can't use GL_LINE on one
=09  face and GL_FILL on the other.

=09* I now remember that the Matrox G400 drivers have
=09  a problem with that as well - althoug they switch
=09  to 100% software rendering instead of just drawing
=09  nothing visible, as the 8800 drivers do.

I grabbed the CVS tree last friday, and got it working by always setting=20
both faces to the same mode. (Most importantly, GL_FILL for brushes, as=20
that's what caused brushes to vanish in the camera view on the 8800.) I=20
suspect that this "fix" also makes G400 cards run with h/w acceleration=20
again.

If anyone has an idea for a better workaround, I could give it a try.=20
(While I still have the FireGL - I'm probably going to return it and wait=
=20
for Xi Graphics drivers for the Parhelia or something... Might get a new=20
machine with a GeForce 4 for 3D stuff for now, and keep the G400 for 2D=20
desktop work. Dunno. 3D + high res 2D is just a major PITA. Don't waste=20
your money on real monitors, folks! ;-)

BTW, I had to make a few minor changes to get GtkRadiant to build on my=20
system. It might have to do with that system (still...) running Mandrake,=
=20
but if you're interested, I'll post a patch.

=2E- Coming soon from VaporWare Inc...------------------------.
| The Return of Audiality! Real, working software. Really!  |
| Real time and off-line synthesis, scripting, MIDI, LGPL...|