[Gtkradiant] ATI FireGL 8800 issues

David Olofson gtkradiant@zerowing.idsoftware.com
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 17:40:04 +0200

On Friday 11 October 2002 17:17, EvilTypeGuy wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 09:55, David Olofson wrote:
> > (And, I think it's about bl**dy time nVidia learns to build RAMDACs
> > and/or Matrox speeds up their driver development, so I can get a real
> > card for my F980... Can't get true 400 MHz and Linux support at all,
> > at any price! :-/  If anyone has any ideas, I'm interested.)
>
> Hi KoboDeluxe man :)

Hi! :-)

> Unfortunately I haven't many ideas. You could try the the XiG demo
> drivers from:
>
> http://www.xig.com/Pages/Atop/Demos-SummitLine/Demos-DX-PlatinumLinux.h
>tml
>
> for your ATi card though.

Will do.

> They should work with your FireGL 8800 since
> it's basically a Radeon 8500 (from what I know).

Yeah - although ATI's Win9x 8500 driver won't run a FireGL 8800, even if=20
forced to load. (That will just crash the system.) No idea why, and I'm=20
not terribly interested. Win2k or XP will run the few games I want to=20
play that don't run on Linux.

> If that solves the
> problem you may want to consider purchasing them. I've heard nothing
> but good from Linux / BSD users that use them. The only downside is
> that they aren't free afaik.

Well, the ATI drivers aren't Free in any sense I care about anyway, so=20
that's not a major issue... (Although paying another $119 to make the=20
bl**dy card work doesn't feel all that great - especially since I'm not=20
exactly impressed with the analog output performance. Yet another reason=20
to wait for nVidia to release a *real* Quadro...)

=2E- Coming soon from VaporWare Inc...------------------------.
| The Return of Audiality! Real, working software. Really!  |
| Real time and off-line synthesis, scripting, MIDI, LGPL...|