[ut3] linux client

Thu Feb 28 09:55:07 EST 2008

"If Ryan says the client is being worked on, it is being worked on until he says
otherwise."

Really?  Has Ryan said, "I'll come and tell you when other demands on my time become too
much, and work on this project takes a back seat?"  Has he said, "I'll let you know if
Epic entertains a purchase offer that comes with the stipulation that nothing is
developed or released for the Linux OS?"  Not that I know of.  As far as I know, he
said, "I'm working on it."  I've worked on a lot of things that didn't get done and
shipped.  Ryan can be legally or economically bound to say nothing.  Additionally, if I
know anything about developers and software companies, when the demand stops, the supply
will quietly move away.  Periodic statements, by a responsible and trustworthy person
(Ryan, in this case) that the product is coming, are needed.  Periodic questions, by an
interested purchasing group, (us, in this case) are also needed.

There's another thing that I experienced and want to point out.  I took a lot of comfort
from the other voices asking for a game I want.  As a Linux gamer, I realize that I'm
not going to get to play everything, because there aren't enough Linux gamers to make
making games for Linux a wildly profitable endeavor (see Loki Entertainment).  Software
companies that make platform games, and Windows games, port to Linux for their own
reasons, and enough money from us to make it feasible.  I am relieved and happy to see
that there are enough of us to make the UT3 port feasible for Epic, because I get to
play my game.

Eventually...