[ut3] linux client

Max Grender-Jones max at hesperides.net
Thu Feb 28 10:14:15 EST 2008

All good points. But I think it would save unnecessary questions if
there was an autoresponse sent to all new users on the list to summarise
progress so far. Something along the lines of:

Welcome new list member

- Linux server has been released (available here http://blah/), and
various patches have since been released (available here).
- The client version (Linux and Mac) *is* being worked on, but isn't
ready yet, sorry. Furthermore, for various reasons, I can't tell you
when it will be ready. All I can tell you is that when it's ready,
you'll know first. Please don't ask for any more updates, I can't give them.

We've all heard that by now, but given how hard list members find it to
find archives, we shouldn't count on anyone reading them.

That said, whilst I completely understand that Ryan can't say when it
will be done, it's a real shame he can't say how far he's got so far. I
reckon many on this list would understand (and would keep their
appetites whetted) if we received updates along the lines of

'Hi guys - still a long way to go, but the graphics system is now
working. Buggy as hell, but it's only a matter of time.'

'Hi guys - graphics mostly there now, now working on porting the network
code'.

Can't imagine that would be commercially sensitive (though given how
much Gamespy was slagged off on the back of a rumour, perhaps I'm
wrong). Then again, perhaps all the issues *are* now legal/commercial,
in which case, no wonder the poor guy's been gagged. If that is the
case, must suck to see all our whining messages, Ryan - hope you can
understand that we're all just itching to get our hands on it - we're
all very grateful for everything you do!