[ut3] Linux dedicated server for beta demo now available!

Loibisch loibisch at clanci.net
Mon Oct 15 01:53:39 EDT 2007

Ryan C. Gordon wrote:
> It's built with -march=pentium4 -mtune=pentium4 -msse2 -mfpmath=sse
> ... so it will use generic instructions that were only available on
> P4-level hardware, and sse2 for all math operations.
>
> If you're still on Pentium III level hardware, it's time to upgrade.
I think you should consider putting out another (less optimized) build
for those people running Athlon XP (or MP) systems. There's no reason
why it shouldn't work without the SSE2 routines unless you used some of
them using inline assembler code.
Saying an Athlon XP is "Pentium III level" is quite harsh (and not
true). While it may be lacking SSE2 it's actually a far advanced
technology when compared directly.

Just saying this because you will probably put off a lot of people who
don't have the time, money or energy to upgrade their old box.

That being said: please also keep the optimized builds. :)

Cheers,
Loibisch