[ut2004] ut2004 stuttering

Joel Wiramu Pauling joel at aenertia.net
Wed Jun 1 12:29:33 EDT 2011

Sounds to me like you have chunk misalignment issues and your system is
being starved for IO, or you have a disk in the array that is bad and
causing bitmap re-calculations to happen all the time. Also many drives
(cheap ones, i.e "green" or "itellisense") will park the heads way more
often, leading to way high cycling counts, run smart tools over your drives
and see how high your counts are....

Take down your raid array and test is basically my advice.

I stopped using raid 5 for these and many other reasons which often would
cause inexplicable system jarring; after being stalwart user for many years
and dealing with the problems I stopped. Raid10 is hassle free and better
solutions IME.