[ut2004] speed of loading maps

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Sun Feb 27 05:59:59 EST 2005

augustus at linuxhardware.org wrote:
> I confirm that I am having a weird problem on one of my systems.  It
> sounds very similar to the bug you are describing.  Odd thing is, it only
> happens on specific hardware.  i.e. If I run the same hard disk on two
> different machines, one has the problem and one doesn't.  It's odd and
> I've done many many many things to try and track this down with no luck.
> If you think you have a software fix, I'd love to see it as soon as you
> get a chance.
>
> Thanks,
> Kris Kersey (Augustus)
> LinuxHardware.org Site Manager
> augustus at linuxhardware.org
> Gentoo Linux AMD64 Developer
> augustus at gentoo.org

What are the respective hardware specs of each machine? Offhand I'd
guess that one machine has enough RAM and the other doesn't, but it
could be something more complicated.

I seem to remember very long map load times around last summer but I
haven't had any trouble recently - about 15-20 seconds. I ran some
quick-and-dirty measurements of how much memory UT2004 is using.

Before running ut2004:
bugfood at bugfood:~/scripts$ free
             total      used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:       1022892    644032     378860          0      64312     334032
-/+ buffers/cache:    245688     777204
Swap:           0          0          0

After loading ut2004, sitting at the main menu:
bugfood at bugfood:~/scripts$ free
Mem:      1022892     855752     167140          0      64616     403532
-/+ buffers/cache:    387604     635288
Swap:           0          0          0

After loading ONS-ArcticStronghold:
bugfood at bugfood:~/scripts$ free
Mem:      1022892    1017152       5740          0      26032     374424
-/+ buffers/cache:    616696     406196
Swap:           0          0          0

After exiting ut2004:
bugfood at bugfood:~/scripts$ free
Mem:      1022892     651080     371812          0      26680     374296
-/+ buffers/cache:    250104     772788
Swap:           0          0          0

So, at least on my system, ut2004 happily consumes about 360 MB of
memory (judging from the the free memory listed on the -/+ buffers/cache
row). I don't know if ut2004 uses less memory on systems with less RAM.

-Corey