[ut2004] stuttering sound/low fps on level startup

Paul E. Rybski paul at rybski.net
Fri Feb 25 21:42:46 EST 2005

> I used to have this exact same problem.  I originally thought it was a
> problem with sounds not loading fast enough, but it turned out that AGP
> speed was not enabled on my video card.  There was a conflict between
> NvAGP and AGPGart where AGPGart wouldn't start correctly with Linux but
> when the driver tried to initialize NvAGP it thought AGPGart was already
> started!

Hi,
 	I just want to say THANK YOU for this incredibly useful bit of
information.  I figured out why my kernel AGPGart driver wasn't loading
and fixed it.  This has given me the following improvements:

1) No more stuttering on game startup

2) No more long delays before the game starts (as I mentioned in a
    different thread).  It only takes a few seconds now.

3) At least 10-20fps faster average framerate.

Here's a bit more detail of what I had to do to get things to work.
Looking in my kernel logs, I saw that the problem seemed to be with a lack
of kernel support for MTRR (Memory Type Range Register).  I turned this
on, recompiled, reinstalled, and rebooted.  Now my AGP port is running at
8x and gaming is very sweet.

-Paul