[ut2004] stuttering sound/low fps on level startup

Paul E. Rybski paul at rybski.net
Fri Feb 25 19:27:31 EST 2005

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, TheGsusFreek wrote:

> --- "Paul E. Rybski" <paul at rybski.net> wrote:

>> instant action or
>> framerate is very low
>
> I used to have this exact same problem.  I originally
> thought it was a problem with sounds not loading fast
> enough, but it turned out that AGP speed was not
> enabled on my video card.  There was a conflict
> between NvAGP and AGPGart where AGPGart wouldn't start
> correctly with Linux but when the driver tried to
> initialize NvAGP it thought AGPGart was already
> started!
>
> I can't remember for the life of me how I fixed it,
> though.  I think I had to set some file to load the
> agpgart module on startup.

Hi,
 	I think you hit the nail on the head here.  I have the same
problem.  I keep getting an error when attempting to load the agpgart
kernel driver and /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status gives the following
error:

AGP initialization failed, please check the ouput
of the 'dmesg' command and/or your system log file
for additional information on this problem.

The problem is that when I load the agpgart driver for the Intel chipset
that I have, I can't get X to start at all (the nvidia driver crashes) and
I can't unload the module and have to reboot.

Looks like it's time for me to play around with my BIOS settings and see
if I can get the AGP driver (either NvAGP or AGPGart... I don't care.) to
work.

Thanks for the advice,

-Paul