[ut2004] stuttering sound/low fps on level startup

EC zybhjk at verizon.net
Thu Feb 24 17:40:07 EST 2005

Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:41:38 -0500 (EST) | "Paul E. Rybski"
<paul at rybski.net>
::-Hi,
::- 	When I typically start a level either through instant action or
::-online, the sound seems to stutter a bit and the framerate is very
low
::-until I have "looked around" and seen most of the new
environment (and
::-possibly the textures?).  I'm guessing that some
caching must be going on
::-which is causing this latency.  Has anyone else run into this
problem? I
::-typically play Onslaught maps but I've noticed this to a
lesser extent on   ::-Assault and deathmath maps.
::-
::-Linux ut2004 patch 3339
::-Debian Linux testing (3.1)
::-Stock 2.6.10 kernel
::-Alsa sound modules
::-Latest NVIDIA driver (can't remember version)
::-
::-P4 2.4 GHz
::-ASUS P4P800 Deluxe motherboard (onboard sound hardware)
::-1 Gig RAM
::-MSI GeForce4 4800 SE graphics card
::-
::-Thanks,
::-
::--Paul

It is possible that the various 'UsePrecaching' settings in the
./System/UT2004.ini got set to false.  While this is unlikely because
the default is true, still worth looking into.

//EC