[ut2004] stuttering sound/low fps on level startup

Kris Vorwerk kris at vorwerk.ca
Fri Feb 18 16:05:22 EST 2005

>  	When I typically start a level either through instant action or
> online, the sound seems to stutter a bit and the framerate is very low
> until I have "looked around" and seen most of the new environment (and
> possibly the textures?).  I'm guessing that some caching must be going on
> which is causing this latency.  Has anyone else run into this problem? I
> typically play Onslaught maps but I've noticed this to a lesser extent on
> Assault and deathmath maps.

Hmm...

Whenever I log in to a server with AntiTCC installed, there's usually
quite a bit of "jerkiness" early on as textures (and so forth) are
verified.  If you pull up a console after joining a game, is it possible
that AntiTCC (or some other anti-cheat script) is being run, and that
might account for the initial slowness?

Also, if you reduce the sound quality or graphics quality, do you notice
an improvement in initial response?

(FYI, on servers that don't run AntiTCC, I usually don't notice a
serious impact to framerate after loading a map.)

cheers,
Kris