stuttering sound/low fps on level startup

Paul E. Rybski paul at rybski.net
Fri Feb 18 15:41:38 EST 2005

Hi,
 	When I typically start a level either through instant action or
online, the sound seems to stutter a bit and the framerate is very low
until I have "looked around" and seen most of the new environment (and
possibly the textures?).  I'm guessing that some caching must be going on
which is causing this latency.  Has anyone else run into this problem? I
typically play Onslaught maps but I've noticed this to a lesser extent on
Assault and deathmath maps.

Linux ut2004 patch 3339
Debian Linux testing (3.1)
Stock 2.6.10 kernel
Alsa sound modules
Latest NVIDIA driver (can't remember version)

P4 2.4 GHz
ASUS P4P800 Deluxe motherboard (onboard sound hardware)
1 Gig RAM
MSI GeForce4 4800 SE graphics card

Thanks,

-Paul