[ut2004] New Linux user with a problem!

Jim Grimsby JimGrimsby at DirecWay.com
Mon Apr 25 06:48:12 EDT 2005

Pollywog wrote:

>On Monday 25 April 2005 08:57 am, Jim Grimsby wrote:
>

>>Ok I tryed this and here is what I got.
>>Erron: Bad /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 File
>>I don't know what this means
>>

>Does that file exist?  Perhaps you have not configured your X server for your
>video card and monitor, do you remember having to answer questions about your
>setup?
>
>That is why I commented that it was odd that you had the same problem in
>Linspire.  It usually takes care of stuff like that for you, but in Debian it
>is slightly more complicated, it has to be done manually.
>
>8)

the file is there!
when we installed debian we used the desktop package selection, and file
server  package selection.
when x-window-system was being configured by dpkg it asked the following
question.
it asked one do you want to have your video card dectected  manualy.
we said yes.
it was unable to do this.
it then gave us a list of cards to choice from.
ati was on the list of cards.
we then selected ati.
it then took us to the next step witch was moniter and resalution
configuration.
 it then asked 2. what type of moniter do you have.
are you using a lcd display.
we set everything up as it should be there for type of display and
moniter size.
we then choice  are resalution setting of 1024/768 this works fine.
everything in x is working but ut2004 under linux.
we are able to get it to load in software emulation mode.  it is also at
this time working as a server.
thanks for all the feed back.
I hope you can tell me more!
Jim