[ut2004] New Linux user with a problem!

Jules Chianelli giuliano at rogers.com
Mon Apr 25 00:13:35 EDT 2005

Pollywog wrote:

>On Monday 25 April 2005 08:57 am, Jim Grimsby wrote:
>

>>Ok I tryed this and here is what I got.
>>Erron: Bad /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 File
>>I don't know what this means
>>

>Does that file exist?  Perhaps you have not configured your X server for your
>video card and monitor, do you remember having to answer questions about your
>setup?
>
>That is why I commented that it was odd that you had the same problem in
>Linspire.  It usually takes care of stuff like that for you, but in Debian it
>is slightly more complicated, it has to be done manually.
>
>8)

This solution worked for me when I used kanotix linux (debian variant).
I didn't have to remove any packages, the script took care of it.

I had beautiful graphics on a ATI 9000 Pro video card with it.  I read
that the script will also work with debian.

F.Y.I  I used LormaLinux (it uses Xorg for video) and found that I didnt
have to install the ATI drivers to get great 3-D graphics.  Its based on
the Fedora Core (Red Hat) but it has the Synaptic Package Manager for
easy software installs and updates.  Its is very user friendly and easy
to install.  Give it a try if you cant get it working for you.