[ut2004] Crashes in 3270-1 and 3323

Adar Dembo adar at stanford.edu
Tue Sep 21 01:14:11 EDT 2004

Well, I have a small update on the situation.

For some reason, my card stop enabling Fast Writes and Sideband
Addressing. I have the options to do so specified in /etc/modutils
(nvidia-kernel-nkc) and in /etc/modprobe.d (nvidia-kernel-nkc). In both
cases, I have "options nvidia NVreg_EnableAGPSBA=1 NVreg_EnableAGPFW=1",
yet a quick "cat /proc/drivers/nvidia/agp/status" shows that both are
disabled. In the past, this worked, and I haven't touched the driver nor
have I touched the kernel.

I've also made the following changes to my X config:

        Option          "RenderAccel"   "On"
        Option          "NoLogo"        "On"
        Option          "HWCursor"      "On"
        Option          "IgnoreDisplayDevices"  "DFP, TV"
        Option          "ConnectedMonitor"      "CRT"

Finally, I am using the logitech_applet written by someone to interact
with my USB mouse and increase the DPI from 400 to 800.

The end result is that UT2004 will quite often do one of two things:

1) At some point in the game, either when I first load it or when it
starts rendering the FPS perspective in a map, my monitor will shut off.
There will be a sound loop for a few seconds, then silence. I have to
hard reboot my machine.

2) If I manage to quit out of UT2004, usually my X session will have
been shut down, and gdm will bring me back to the login prompt.

3) Once, my X session crashed IN-GAME, and everything slowed a bit,
until my monitor clicked and I was back to the gdm login prompt.

In all cases, nothing gets written to the logs. And it's getting to the
point where it's too dangerous to even open UT2004, as it will crash my
computer. It also seems entirely erratic, but when it happens, it
continues happening for a while. It's almost as if it's dependent on
heat, but lmsensors shows my temperature within reasonable limits.

Any ideas? I'm about ready to drop all the changes I made and go back to
an older kernel with the 5xxx set of drivers.

-Adar