[ut2004] Help? 64 bit linux client and poor fps.

Nathan Dale Van Eps nathanvaneps at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 30 09:48:50 EST 2004

> >> From http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/jedioutcast/jedi-2.shtml
> >>
> >>"*Video Sync*. With this option you can /enable///disable/ Vsync in the
> >>Game. Vsync effectively limits the frame rate to your current refresh
> >>rate at any given resolution. Frame rate can be perceivably /increased/
> >>when set to *Off* (/disabled/), as frames are rendered as fast as they
> >>can be regardless of refresh rate, although you may experience image
> >>tearing &/or controller lag as a result. With this set to *On*
> >>(/enabled/) you won’t experience either image tearing nor controller
> >>lag, although frame rate will be limited to your refresh rate. As such
> >>I’d recommend /enabling/ Vsync for best image quality & /disabling/ it
> >>when you intend to benchmark system/game performance."
> >>
> >>Turning off vsynch should only give an increase in framerates if refresh
> >>rate is the limiting factor. With a monitor less than a few years old
> >>that's very unlikely to be the case, so you're better off leaving it on.
> >>

> >That doesn't explain why the original poster would get more FPS with
> >VSync on.
> >
> >I've read benchmarking articles where disabling vsync could increase
> >your FPS by ten or more. And they were on newer systems. But it wasn't
> >on the Unreal engine. I believe it was on Quake2. And yes, you could
> >easily get 60+ Hz with monitors in those days. I believe I had mine at
> >75...
> >
> >Anyway, I can easily benchmark my UT and will be giving it a try with
> >this option on and off.
> >
> One theory I've heard is that with vsynch off you end up with a bunch of
> junk in the pipeline, basically the undrawn remainder of the frame when
> it gets interrupted.
>
> Yeah, I remember those days too. I remember always turning vsynch off,
> much like people perform religeous rituals. I don't remember it making
> any noticable difference though, even though my fps numbers were higher.

Yes, that is what I remember too. VSync would stall rendering. I believe
I would get something like 5 more fps with it off on quake. But I tested
it with UT and it didn't make any difference (under 1fps difference).
That is weird option to leave in their if it doesn't make any
difference. I wonder if the windows binary is the same...