[ut2004] Help? 64 bit linux client and poor fps.

Peter Hoff petehoff at pacbell.net
Mon Nov 29 19:27:31 EST 2004

Nathan Dale Van Eps wrote:

>On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 15:52 -0800, Peter Hoff wrote:
>

>>Nathan Dale Van Eps wrote:
>>

>>>BTW, I don't why you get more frames with "UseVSync=True", but this
>>>should be false.
>>>

>> From http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/jedioutcast/jedi-2.shtml
>>
>>"*Video Sync*. With this option you can /enable///disable/ Vsync in the
>>Game. Vsync effectively limits the frame rate to your current refresh
>>rate at any given resolution. Frame rate can be perceivably /increased/
>>when set to *Off* (/disabled/), as frames are rendered as fast as they
>>can be regardless of refresh rate, although you may experience image
>>tearing &/or controller lag as a result. With this set to *On*
>>(/enabled/) you won’t experience either image tearing nor controller
>>lag, although frame rate will be limited to your refresh rate. As such
>>I’d recommend /enabling/ Vsync for best image quality & /disabling/ it
>>when you intend to benchmark system/game performance."
>>
>>Turning off vsynch should only give an increase in framerates if refresh
>>rate is the limiting factor. With a monitor less than a few years old
>>that's very unlikely to be the case, so you're better off leaving it on.
>>

>That doesn't explain why the original poster would get more FPS with
>VSync on.
>
>I've read benchmarking articles where disabling vsync could increase
>your FPS by ten or more. And they were on newer systems. But it wasn't
>on the Unreal engine. I believe it was on Quake2. And yes, you could
>easily get 60+ Hz with monitors in those days. I believe I had mine at
>75...
>
>Anyway, I can easily benchmark my UT and will be giving it a try with
>this option on and off.

One theory I've heard is that with vsynch off you end up with a bunch of
junk in the pipeline, basically the undrawn remainder of the frame when
it gets interrupted.

Yeah, I remember those days too. I remember always turning vsynch off,
much like people perform religeous rituals. I don't remember it making
any noticable difference though, even though my fps numbers were higher.